Re: zpty on Mac OS X 10.2

Peter wrote:
> I tried the Macs at Sourceforge.  They claim to be be `Mac OS X 10.1'
> and `Mac OS X 10.2'.  On the second uname -a gives `Darwin
> ppc-osx2.cf.sourceforge.net 6.8 Darwin Kernel Version 6.8: Wed Sep 10

For what it's worth, the other is darwin 5.5.

> I don't know the relationship between Darwin and Mac OS X.

Darwin is the base system which is available as open source. It lacks
all the GUI stuff. You can install darwin alone (even on an x86 box
apparently), but you'd have little more than BSD Unix.

> Does it help to turn the #ifdef __FreeBSD__ in zpty.c into
> #if defiend(__FreeBSD__) || defined(__APPLE__)

It doesn't help. It's possibly a valid change though: pty(4) lists
     /dev/pty[p-sP-S][a-z0-9]   master pseudo terminals
     /dev/tty[p-sP-S][a-z0-9]   slave pseudo terminals
but if you go by the contents of /dev, it might be /dev/pty[p-w][a-f0-9]

Judging from what I read on an Apple web page, I think both __APPLE__
and __MACH__ are supposed to be checked. Presumably because __APPLE__
is defined on A/UX (though I can't imagine anyone running zsh on that
anymore).

Oliver