Re: PATCH: (2) Re: FreeBSD compatability feature request

Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Apr 22, 11:17am, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> }
> } If anybody actually knows anything about all this, their views would be
> } especially welcome.
>
> This sounds like something to ask about on the <shell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> list.

It's not so much the standard as implementing an alternative in a
consistent way that I'm worried about.

However, there is a difference in the current implementation:

$ fn() { sleep 5; kill -USR1 $$; }
$ trap 'echo USR1 fired' USR1
$ fn & sleep 10

ksh (88), bash and Solaris sh wait till the end of the sleep before
delivering the `USR1 fired' (and, where appropriate, sending the
notification message).  In zsh they appear in the middle.  That's
because the exiting background process gives a SIGCHLD and we don't care
which child exits, we just go into end-of-job-processing mode, then
return to wait for the foreground process when we find that's not the
one that exited.

I don't know if this is important enough to worry about.

CSR Ltd., Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0WH, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com