Re: libzsh overhead, minus the benefits

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, ari wrote:

> The only potential reason that i see for having all zsh functionality in
> libzsh.so, while keeping the zsh binary more or less a stub into the
> library, is the reuse of shared memory mappings.

No; that has nothing to do with it.

On some operating systems to which zsh has been ported, it is not possible
to have dynamic (relocatable, if I recall correctly) symbol linkage from a
non-dynamic library to a dynamic one.  That is, it's first necessary to
load at least one library via a static linkage, and then that library can
load other libraries at run time.

So nearly all of zsh was put into a loadable library so that the zmodload
command would work, and could be programmed in nearly the same way, on all
the platforms where zsh compiles.