Re: Another completion-time screen refresh bug

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Geoff Wing wrote:

> Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> output in workers/19714:
> :With this style:
> :zstyle ':completion:*' completer _all_matches _complete _match _approximate
> :
> :If, in the zsh source tree, I type:
> :schaefer<528> rm <TAB>
> :I get the following output, with the cursor on the SECOND line:
> :
> :schaefer<528> rm
> :Completing filrm
> :Completing all matches
> :Src ChangeLog Completion stamp-h.in configure autom4te-2.53.cache configure. ...
>
> I can't reproduce this anymore (though I think I could at the time).
> Was it fixed or did it just go away or can people still reproduce it (and
> provide steps from "zsh -f")

I believe it's dependent on the width of and/or number of lines in the
listing.  When Oliver and PWS rearranged the NEWS file etc. into the top
level directory, they eliminated the conditions necessary to reproduce it.
It's rather tricky to construct by hand a listing that reproduces the
effect; I haven't managed to do so.

> I can't reproduce workers/19587 either (don't remember if I could
> previously).

This one I can reproduce as follows:

zsh -f
autoload -U compinit
compinit -D
zstyle ':completion:*' completer \
    _oldlist _expand _complete _match _ignored _approximate _prefix
zstyle ':completion:*' format '%SCompleting %U%d%u%s'

and then enter "egrefoo" and TAB twice on the "f", as described in 19587.

Interestingly, the display remains wrong even after ^R (redisplay).  This
bug may be related to 19714, and both may, I suppose, be related to the
use of %S/%s and %U/%u in the format string ...