data loss in pipes

Hi,

I've been having some problems with pipes and data loss with zsh and I wanted to bring it to your attention.  Recently I noticed that linux kernels would not compile as they would either fail during assembly because of strange errors (comments interpreted as instructions, etc) and then it started happening in some software at work and I finally clued in that zsh is losing data through pipes.

For example, I run:
    make 2>&1 | grep 'undefined reference'

And I usually get a truncated list as a result, whereas with bash and it always prints the full output (the kernel compiles work in bash too).

My gentoo config:
    sys-devel/gcc-3.4.2-r2
    app-shells/zsh-4.2.1
    app-shells/bash-3.0-r6
    sys-kernel/development-sources-2.6.9_rc2
    CFLAGS=-O -fPIC -pipe

I think this could possibly be a gcc compiler problem, as I compiled gcc, make, etc with these cflags:
    CFLAGS=-O2 -ftracer -fprefetch-loop-arrays -march=pentium4 -frename-registers -fmove-all-movables -freduce-all-givs -pipe

Jam