zsh bug?

I was using zsh in screen, in an aterm (in x, obviously.), and
suddenly I lost tab-completion ability and the ability to run any
command except built-ins.  When I tried to log back in I received an
error about not being able to cd to my home directory, I may still
have these errors in an irc log.  Root could still log in, and once
logged in as root (using the same shell) i could not su to my user; I
received an error about not having permissions to execute /bin/zsh.
Re-installing zsh from the slackware package fixed all my problems,
but I figured that this error should be reported.  (and I'm interested
myself to know how that happened.)