Re: zsh coding standards

Wayne Davison wrote:
> Speaking of coding standards, it has only been fairly recently (perhaps
> this year?) that you have started to put braces on the line following an
> "if", "while", etc.  Is this a conscious decision to change zsh's coding
> style?  I personally prefer seeing the braces on the same line as the
> controlling statement (except for the start of a function).

It's because that's how we do it at CSR, and switching between the two
is too complicated for me.  It's not intentional.

> Use "{}" on an empty loop instead of ";" to make it more obvious that no
> looping statements follow.

I think this is mostly done by putting the ";" on the next line, which
makes the intention clear enough.  Putting a ";" on the same line
immediately after the loop statement is certainly more bug-prone.

> Attached is a patch of the zchdir() function that contains only the style
> changes mentioned above.  They won't be committed unless agreement is
> reached that they would be a good thing.

Anything that makes it more readable is fine by me, although it's quite
hard to enforce this sort of nicety.

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com