Re: Regression in UTF-8 support

On Tuesday 27 September 2005 21:00, Mikael Magnusson wrote:
> On 9/27/05, Peter Stephenson <pws@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Andrey Borzenkov <arvidjaar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > this fixed history truncation but not strange mangling in completion
> > > listing.
> >
> > There were some bits I missed or got wrong when updating nicechar().
>
> This seems to fix most things here,

yes, completion listing for sure (sans width calculation :)

> but when i look at the history
> file, some utf characters aren't saved correctly, but they become
> correct when up-arrowing in zsh. Manually entering the same utf-8 code
> in the history file seems to not confuse zsh though, but pressing
> enter saves the "malformed" entry again. In my case the utf is し,
> hiragana shi, 0xE38107. It is saved in history as ぃ・, 0xE38183C2B7.

Zsh saves it metafied. I agree, external representation should be unmetafied;
OTOH this is unlikely to depend on UTF-8 support, it is just that those
characters are usually unused in 8-bit character sets so nobody has probably
noticed this before

-andrey

PS I am pretty much impressed; finally there is valid usage for UTF-8 encoding
in E-Mail. Good bye legacy terminals?