Re: BUG: cd '' doesn't produce an error

Peter Stephenson <pws@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> That's because of the special handling of ".": if it doesn't occur in
> cdpath, it's assumed to occur first.

> That's long-standing behaviour, although I think the documentation (for
> cd) is a bit screwy...

Ok, after reading your documentation changes and tinkering a bit my
self I think I've gotten a grasp on cdpath.

It seems to me that having another directory in cdpath before . would
be quite unusual, and that was the one case when cd to the empty
string was even remotely useful. I don't think that motivates not
complaining about an argument that you can't stat(2), but I can't
think of anything but subjective reasons any more though. :|