Recursion error and line numbers

This is tangential to the segfault etc. reported for

local foo=(); local bar

In workers/22495 I wrote:

> zsh% local
> local:10: maximum nested function level reached
> zsh%

There are not 10 lines in the function "local", nor are there 50 lines
when I try the "compinit" test and mysteriously get the error twice:

zsh% compinit
local:50: maximum nested function level reached
local:1: maximum nested function level reached
zsh%

Obviously the recursion depth isn't 1 or 10 or 50 either.  Where is that
number coming from?  I would have expected "1" in all cases.