Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: configure should have --with-ncurses and --with-ncursesw
- X-seq: zsh-workers 23076
- From: Vincent Lefevre <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx>
- To: Zsh hackers list <zsh-workers@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: configure should have --with-ncurses and --with-ncursesw
- Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 02:23:04 +0100
- In-reply-to: <200612191622.kBJGMcXb005284@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Mail-followup-to: Zsh hackers list <zsh-workers@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-workers-help@xxxxxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
- References: <20061218143802.GX11091@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <20061218154652.a9a77e25.pws@xxxxxxx> <20061219161216.GC7815@DervishD> <200612191622.kBJGMcXb005284@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On 2006-12-19 16:22:38 +0000, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> DervishD wrote:
> > Hi Peter :)
> > * Peter Stephenson <pws@xxxxxxx> dixit:
> > > Vincent Lefevre <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > > No-one commented on this.
> > >
> > > That's probably because this is MAC-specific and nobody knew what it
> > > meant.
> > Not at all, AFAIK. The ncursesw library can be used in any Linux,
> > for example.
> Indeed, I've got it here. The problem seems to be that in the case in
> question it's getting in the way for some reason and if we knew the whys
> and wherefores we could presumably avoid it.
The problem is that zsh uses the curses API by default, so that
currently, the only way to use the ncurses library is to install
curses compatibility link (ncurses doesn't install them, but
Linux distributions and Mac OS X do). The problem occurs when
the user wants to install a newer version of ncurses (from
upstream) in /usr/local, /opt/local or whatever. As zsh uses
curses by default, it uses the old ncurses library (which, in
the case of Mac OS X, is buggy).
To be able to use ncurses by default, I had to change the configure
- termcap_curses_order="tinfo curses ncurses termcap"
+ termcap_curses_order="ncurses tinfo curses termcap"
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/>
100% accessible validated (X)HTML - Blog: <http://www.vinc17.org/blog/>
Work: CR INRIA - computer arithmetic / Arenaire project (LIP, ENS-Lyon)
Messages sorted by: