Re: idea for new feature (was: Re: sticky-note and zle bindings)

"Bart Schaefer" <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 1/17/08, Andy Spiegl <zsh.Andy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > The upshot is that this isn't a zsh feature -- it's a cooperative
>> > feature that requires effort from both the shell and whatever other
>> > user interface environment it's running inside.
>> Right, so let's start. :-)
>
> Here's something that may be of use.  Recent xterm has adopted window
> control sequences from dtterm, according to
> http://www.xfree86.org/current/ctlseqs.html, so zsh might have a
> chance at saving/restoring some window state.  I haven't tried Konsole
> but Gnome-terminal pays attention to a subset of this.  Other
> terminals I don't know.

I guess "recent" may be relative (Sun 1 you say?), but I've been using
the following for at least 7 years.  I do something like

  % xtctl size 100 60 move 0 0

all the time on XTerm, rxvt (cygwin no less), OSX Terminal.app, and
PuTTY.  That ctlseqs.ms certainly does get around....

(If it looks naive, it's because I was limiting it to Bourne shell,
mostly for fun.  At some point while implementing 'get' I gave up and
switched to bash, but it's been so long now that I don't remember why.)

Err, Gnus helpfully informed me that there was a literal ^[ and ^G in
there (Bourne shell...), so here's a link instead:
http://www.isri.unlv.edu/~slumos/hacks/xtctl.  It's mostly a curiosity
at this point anyway...

Steve