Re: 4.3.4-dev-8

Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2008-01-29 15:01:35 -0800, Wayne Davison wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 05:50:18PM +0000, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> > > That's a problem with CVS we can't easily fix, but I can post process.
> > > For now it'll have to be by hand.
> >
> > You can reqeust such changes via SourceForge support request.  I took
> > care of that for you, and the files are no longer marked as executable.
> > (Except for "configure", which is a generated file -- I don't know
> > what's up with that.)
>
> Clint did *not* say *all* the files. AFAIK, the following files (from
> the autotools) should be executable: config.guess, config.sub,
> install-sh and mkinstalldirs. I don't know about the other ones.

Actually, there are quite a lot miscellaneous scripts that could
usefully be executable, and some of the functions are dual purpose.
There aren't many of that list that *definitely* shouldn't be
executable.

Configuration is now broken right from the word go:

% sh Util/preconfig
cd . && ./.preconfig
Util/preconfig: line 7: ./.preconfig: Permission denied
Util/preconfig: ./.preconfig failed (status 126)

I made and installed a shell from scratch and ".preconfig" was the
only thing that failed, although it's rather perverse not having the
scripts in Util and Misc executable.