Re: how to get my umlauts back?

On Jun 15,  1:58pm, Bart Schaefer wrote:
}
} Changing the values of LANG and LC_* after the shell has started makes
} no difference to this; once it's broken, it's broken for good.  Only by
} exiting and restarting with a non-empty LANG can I get it working again.

I've since discovered that this is not precisely the case.  It does
work to change LANG after the shell is running, but it matters to what
value LANG is set.