Re: Is there any interest in indentation patches?

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 10:05, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You mean shell functions as opposed to C functions?

Yes.

> My personal preference would be that this NOT be done.  It makes it
> difficult to see from one file revision to the next what's a semantic
> change and what was merely whitespace being fixed up.

Yes, that is the the one huge downside of whitespace commits.
If there was a single coding style, that one huge commit would
(possibly) be OK. That is exactly why I asked the ML.

> It's one thing if the indentation is actually so bad that it impairs
> readability -- in that case I'd be more inclined to fix it.  Changing
> strictly for the sake of consistency does not seem to me worthwhile.
> To maintain it going forward, we'd have to implement a policy of
> reformatting every function that is contributed to the sources.

Once the initial effort is finished, maintaining the status quo could
be done via commit hooks and a little checker script.

Richard