Re: Weird exit caused in a trap DEBUG which sources a file.

On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 07:21:43 -0400
"Rocky Bernstein" <rocky.bernstein@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It may be useful to have some "trap DEBUG" exit codes alter program
> flow. For example in bash if "trap DEBUG" returns 2, then if you are
> inside a function that does an immediate return from the function
> (implementing a gdb "return" command).

This happens on any explicit "return" from a non-function trap.

> It might also be nice to have a "trap DEBUG" exit value which
> indicates that the next command is skipped rather than executed.

That's a little more tricky:  it's not very clear what the next command
actually is if it's a complicated expression.  Looking at the code, it's
not hard to do something here, but making it properly consistent is
another matter.  I think it would probably work if done at the level of
commands separated by semicolons, newlines or ampersands (described
internally as sublists).

> And since I brought up "trap DEBUG" execution order again, at the risk
> of beating a dead horse...

I don't really understand what the issue is.  Is there something about
the DEBUG_BEFORE_CMD option that makes it hard to ensure it is set at
the right point (this is not a trick question, that's perfectly
possible)?