Re: Something changed about zsh linkage?

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 17:52:56 +0100
Peter Stephenson <p.w.stephenson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 13:58:58 -0700
> Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > For years now I've been building zsh and running it from the source tree
> > for testing.  I'm used to this meaning that some modules are not loadable
> > when I run "Src/zsh -f" (because the modules haven't been installed yet).
> >
> > Recently, however, I've started getting an error I never did before --
> >
> > schaefer[602] Src/zsh -o noglobalrcs -f
> > zsh: failed to load module `zsh/zle': /usr/local/lib/zsh/4.3.6-dev-0/zsh/zle.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> I'm missing something, since if you start up a shell interactively it
> should try to load zle, shouldn't it?

I just tried this, and I get that message where I would expect to: it's
trying to load zle because it's got to inputline() and needs to load
zsh/zle to read the line since all the conditions for using zle are met:
the shell is interactive, shell input is from standard input, and zle
hasn't explicitly been turned off.

Could it just be the error message is new?  I haven't deliberately changed
that, but part of the aim of the zleentry() change was consistency, and
it's not obviously wrong to show a message the first time you try to load a
module and fail., else it may not be obvious why line editing doesn't work.