Re: Strange parsing bug(?)

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 02:56, Richard Hartmann
<richih.mailinglist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [crap]

Of course, the second I hit enter, I realize what the actual issue is.
I.e. the second I mentally step back from the problem, I realize it's
not actually a string I want to echo, any more. This _is_ an
interactive session, after all. The shell _has_ to act the way it does.

I blame my cold & headache ;)

Sorry for the noise,
Richard

PS: Of course, the man page was there to tell me about it, all
along

PPS: Whoever chose !" in the mists of time made a rather
annoying mistake. It's not as if an exclamation mark followed
by a string delimiter is rare..

PPPS: Is there any sane way to write code including !" that
will behave the same way in interactive & batch mode? And no,
using ! " does not count ;)