Re: Notes on zsh, zsh/files and recovery

In the last episode (Oct 18), Phil Pennock said:
> Managed to hose my box by trying to be too clever while rebuilding.
> Luckily, had zsh as root at the time.  In the end, didn't help fix
> it; once you've hosed /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 with a version that's for
> a different architecture to the kernel, you're hosed.  But it's an
> interesting exercise, trying to recover without making use of exec()
> (as opposed to the more usual fork() limitation).

You mention FreeBSD later, so if something similar happens again, you
should be able to use the statically-linked binaries in /rescue to
recover from most shared-library problems, especially if you've got
another system you can NFS-mount to copy files from.  Surprisingly, ftp
isn't in there, so if you need executables or libraries from
ftp.freebsd.org you'd have to ftp them from another box and copy them
via USB drive or something similar.

> There does not appear to be a zls() ?  I hacked one together using
> zsh/stat and ... it's rather slow.  I'm tempted to build up a closer
> emulation of ls(1) with a few useful options and contribute it as a
> standard function.  It will be truly slow, but occasionally useful.

In emergencies, I have used this as an ls replacement :)

ls() { echo ${@:-*} }

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx