Re: Plans for zle_highlighting?

Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Dec 17, 11:53pm, Richard Hartmann wrote:
> }
> } what are the plans for zle_highlighting? Will it be extended into
> } supporting fully-fledged syntax highlighting[1]? Having the same colours
> } in Vim and ZSH would be awesome :)
>
> PWS can correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know there are no plans
> at this point for highlighting.

Nothing firm, no.  There are various steps along the way, including
making highlighting dynamic, i.e. updating automatically when you insert
or delete characters.  Strict syntax highlighting (i.e. it really gets
parsed by the shell) probably is never going to happen, but some
approximate form (it gets split into words and examined by a shell
script) isn't beyond the bounds of possibility.  This isn't a very high
priority.

Anything requiring enhancements to the completion system is likely to
have to wait even longer.

This is all entirely for the practical reasons Bart mentioned.