Re: Segfault on really long paths

* Andrey Borzenkov <arvidjaar@xxxxxxxxxx> [20081230 05:06]:
> On ÐÑÐÑÐÐÐ 30 ÐÐÐÐÐÑÑ 2008 03:19:51 Richard Hartmann wrote:

> > richih@adamantium ~ % for i in {1..1000}; do mkdir 0123456789; cd
> > 0123456789; done
> > [1]    24398 segmentation fault  zsh
> > richih@adamantium ~ %

> > It would be better to throw an error than to segfault.

> Does not do here (Mandriva cooker):

> cooker% /bin/pwd > /tmp/foo
> cooker% wc /tmp/foo
>     1     1 11018 /tmp/foo
> cooker% echo $ZSH_VERSION
> 4.3.6-dev-0

> glibc-2.8-1.20080520.5mnb2

> Are you sure it is zsh and not (g)libc segfaulting?

At least Bash (3.2.39) doesn't segfault. I can see several:

| cd: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: File name too long

messages while running but bash doesn't segfault.

Zsh (version 4.3.6 here) receives several EINVAL on readlink()
(using libc 2.7 of Debian/unstable). Then I can see lots of
(uncatched?) ENAMETOOLONG (not mentioning chdir() and stat64())
which seem to cause the segfault in zsh.

regards,
-mika-
--
 ,'"`.         http://michael-prokop.at/
(  grml.org -Â Linux Live-CD for texttool-users and sysadmins