Re: Don't suggest completion functions when 'correcting' on non-existant commands

Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Jan 2, 11:54pm, Frank Terbeck wrote:
> } > On Dec 31,  7:12pm, Frank Terbeck wrote:
> } > }
> } > } <http://bewatermyfriend.org/posts/2007/12-26.11-50-38-tooltime.html>
> } >
> } > That's not really a solution; it just replaces the correction prompt
> } > with a different prompt.
> }
> } Well, to me it's not really another prompt, because you're not
> } actually prompted for anything.
>
> It nevertheless stops whatever is going on and makes you hit enter, which
> is not that much better than answering "N" to a request to correct the
> command name.

Since the problem only occurs as soon as you hit enter, I don't see
the problem, that this workaround (yeah, let's call it that way) only
kicks in as soon as you hit enter.

If it detects the problem, it displays a warning below the prompt and
ignores the first enter completely. Nothing changes. So, at least for
me (and some other folks who I know use this, too) that's a lot less
annoying than the correction question.

Of course, a solution within zle would be way cleaner. I tried that,
before I wrote that accept-line wrapper back then. Obviously, I
failed - who would have guessed. :-)

> } E.g.: If it's due to a not-yet-installed piece of software you can
> } push-input the current cmdline, aptitude-install (or whatever way your
> } OS does it) and then just hit enter to have the pushed command
> } executed - with the missing program installed.
> }
> } > It might be interesting for other reasons.
> }
> } What would those reasons be? ...maybe you see use-cases I didn't see,
> } yet. :-)
>
> Well, on Ubuntu under bash when a command is not found you get told what
> to do to install it (e.g. what package to apt-get install).  This could
> be the basis for something like that for zsh.

Yeah, that could probably be done. I'll take a look at it as soon as I
can find the time. :)

Regards, Frank

                                                  -- RFC 1925