Convention question regarding completions

Hi all,

when writing completions, should I XAND only the options
which are really mutually exclusive like

 tar x
 tar c

or should I XAND the ones which won't work but won't hurt,
either like

  --verbose
  --quiet

or should I XAND even the ones which become superfluous
like the second option in

  deluser --remove-all-files
  deluser --remove-home

?

Personally, I lean towards the third, i.e. most inclusive
XAND rule, but I am interested what the others think.

Richard

PS: Just in case it's not clear from context what I mean
by XAND:

'(x)c[create a new archive]'
'(c)x[extract files from an archive]'