Re: treatment of empty strings - why is this not a bug?

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 20:40, Greg Klanderman <gak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I cannot believe it's widely used, except in legacy scripts that
> predate array parameters.  Why would you put an empty string into a
> variable unless you wanted it there?  I don't see any reason you'd
> ever want the current behavior in a new script, and any existing
> script should just emulate to the broken behavior.

Existing scripts tend to run in odd places, often without anyone
around who can still maintain them. Such a change could have very
bad effects, possibly without anyone noticing (in time).

That is a real problem and happens far too often, no need to make
it worse.

Richard