select problem

I don't want to subscribe to the mailing lists so please cc
I wrote a shell script in bash (sorry) before I switched to zsh.
The script has no "bashisms" but when I changed #!/bin/bash to #!/bin/zsh it didn't work correctly -- zsh ver 4.3.6 on debian
It's just a simple script using select to print a list of music, choose a file and play it.
select input in $(/bin/ls -A /home/david/music)
In bash this prints a screen and a half output - all the music files. Then the PS3 prompt
In zsh this is truncated - only the first screenfull is shown, then the PS3 prompt, cutting off the last part of the ls output.
"ls" acts as usual on the command line, everything else seems fine.
I ran the script with zsh -f and it's still the same. I checked /etc/zshenv and it just has the PATH
feature or bug? thanks if you can help ----------------dave

power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely,
god is all powerful