Re: changing bindings in isearch mode?

> Absolutely, but it's a very tricky change to push the behaviour into
> functions.  Translation:  it's not clear anyone knows how to do this and
> it's very clear no one has the time to find out.

I don't think you need (or even want) to push the behavior into
functions; the menu-select widget already uses the "menuselect"
keymap.  It looks like it's just casing on the commands that are
bound, not executing them necessarily, and this seems to also be how
the isearch code is written, using tests of the form

        cmd == Th(z_****)

Just glancing over the code, it would appear not too hard to create a
keymap for isearch, add an isearch-exit widget, and add a case for it
in doisearch.  Does that seem like a reasonable solution?

thanks,
Greg