Re: select problem

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 15:39, Stephane Chazelas
<Stephane_Chazelas@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Still, I can't think of how a script could be reasonably made to
> rely on that behavior, which is why it's not a problem that all
> shells break POSIX conformance there, in a same way that running
> a POSIX script with zsh (in sh emulation) generally isn't a
> problem because it's only in corner cases that zsh is not
> conformant.

Having symlinked zsh to /bin/sh for some time on my system,
I have to say it's a quick way to make your Debian system
stop working. Grml had a similar experience which is why
they went back to Bash.

> When a POSIX conformance issue is found by someone,
> it is generally raised on this mailing list and most of the time
> fixed (at least in sh emulation).

Afaik, there are several issues open. If there is any interest,
I can try to round them up so they can be shot.

> Having said that, I agree there's no much point of having zsh as
> your POSIX sh.

AFAIK, that is the official stance.

Richard