Re: cd -s symlink hangs (sometimes?)

On Mar 24, 12:46pm, Peter Stephenson wrote:
}
} For the diagnostics and pwd, I've just borrowed what the recursive
} handling in zsh/files does, which is cd to /, set pwd consistently,
} and report the error.

This is calling zerr(), which sets errflag, which means a script that
encounters this problem would abort at that point, correct?  (That
seems to be the behavior in a few simple tests I did.)

I'd be worried that if the only error is that chdir returns nonzero,
changing into the root directory creates a security problem (what if
the user is privileged and the next command is "rm -rf *" etc.).

Maybe it would be better to first attempt chdir($HOME) and only fall
back on "/" if that also fails.  Also, should $OLDPWD be getting updated?
I'm undecided on that.  We did change directories, even though not to the
desired destination.