Re: D07multibyte.ztst failure on HP-UX 11.11

On Tue, 5 May 2009 19:39:31 +0000
Paul Ackersviller <pda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I can get read to silently fail on the HP box with
>
> env -i LANG=en_US.utf8 ../Src/zsh -fc \
> 	"(LC_ALL=C; print \$'\\u00e9') | read || print failure"
>
> Taking out any of the read, the LC_ALL=C, or the sub-shelling gives a
> zero return to the left of the "print failure".

So presumably the underlying problem is the same as the failure in the
test that needs investigating.

Taking out the LC_ALL should produce some sensible output if you omit
the read.  (Replacing it with xxd or failing that od -x might make it
clearer what's going on.)

If you're simply taking out the subshell and not replacing it with
anything then the LC_ALL=C covers the "read" as well as the "print".
So possibly something strange is happening in the read.  Replacing it
with xxd might be even more instructive here.