Re: ChangeLog and UTF-8

Phil Pennock wrote:
> On 2009-07-08 at 09:33 +0100, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> > Bart Schaefer wrote:
> > > For a while we were avoiding UTF-8 in the ChangeLog, but recently a few
> > > multibyte characters have crept in.
> > >
> > > I don't have any strong opinion one way or the other, but there didn't
> > > seem to be any statement of intent to change practice, so I inquire to
> > > be sure it isn't by mistake.
> >
> > I think they're have actually been some for quite a while.  I would be
> > worried if it started containing other encodings as well.
>
> There's plenty of Latin1 in the older changelogs, in the form of "Zoltán
> Hidvégi" expressed using Latin1.

Interesting historical development; since those are closed I don't think
that's an issue (if someone did want to run iconv I wouldn't stop them).

Actually, I think there's an argument that having UTF-8 in the new file
is a good thing:  smart editors will spot what encoding to use, and
anyone copying in a name will get the same encoding.  Otherwise it could
potentially start filling up with ISO-8859-1 or anything else.

Keeping non-ASCII characters out of the source would be a smart idea,
however.