Re: zsh eats 100% CPU with completion in /

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009, Frank Terbeck wrote:

> The subject is not entirely correct.
>
> Zsh eats 100% CPU on a colleague's laptop if you do this:
> % cd /
> % cd ..
> % ./<tab>
>
> Happens with the most recent CVS HEAD, too.
> That's on linux (debian stable, actually).
>
> The problem is reproducible on his machine. And it doesn't happen if
> you do this:
> % cd /
> % ./<tab>
>
> The 'cd ..' is required.
>
> I cannot reproduce the problem on my system with exactly the same
> configuration and with exactly the same zsh version. And I am in fact
> using the very same OS (debian stable), too.
>
> As you can imagine, I am quite puzzled and I don't know how to tackle
> this.
>
> Any hints or suggestions are highly welcome.

As a potential source of differences, it might be interesting to see
what's mounted in the root directory of each machine.  This reminds me of
Zsh scanning drives under /cygdrive/ when running under Cygwin.

Though I'm not sure how the 'cd ..' plays into it... something relating to
changes that dealt with current-directory tracking?  (sorry, can't recall
specifics -- it was on here or zsh-users within the past three months or
so)

Best,
Ben