Re: Slow completion when using aptitude

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 8:33 PM, Richard Hartmann
<richih.mailinglist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> those questions might be better suited to the -users list.
>
>> And another small related issue: the command tab-completion of zsh
>> doesn't seem to know aptitude build-dep, which has been around for a
>> few years but (unfortunately) undocumented.
>
> I did not have time to check the first issue, but on zsh 4.3.10, you
> can complete to aptitude build-dep. As a general rule of thumb, please
> try to use the newest version of zsh (and starting with zsh -f where
> applicable/possible) before reporting issues. They might have been
> fixed, already.

Thanks for your attention. I posted this to zsh-workers because I
found it weird enough to be very likely a bug in source code. Could
you tell me if you are having performance problem with aptitude
tab-complete? Also, let me describe my problems in more detail.

If I type "sudo apt-get install a" and hit Tab, I only get a short
(yet noticeable) delay of about one second. But when I type "sudo
aptitude install a" and hit Tab, zsh freezes, one of the CPU cores get
100% loaded. It will recover after some 10 seconds. However after
this, the tab-completion of aptitude is as quick as apt-get's, until I
log out of zsh.

I am using the version from git repo:

xiaq@~> zsh --version
zsh 4.3.11-dev-1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)

and my system:

xiaq@~> uname -a
Linux xxx 2.6.32-28-generic #55-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jan 10 21:21:01 UTC
2011 i686 GNU/Linux

After typing "sudo aptitude" and hitting Tab, the output is (build-dep
is absent):

xiaq@~> sudo aptitude
autoclean                 -- erase old downloaded package files
changelog                 -- view a package's changelog
clean                     -- erase downloaded package files
download                  -- download the .deb file for a package
forbid-version            -- forbid aptitude from upgrading to a
specific package ve
forget-new                -- forget what packages are "new"
full-upgrade              -- perform an upgrade, possibly installing
and removing pa
hold                      -- place packages on hold
install                   -- install/upgrade packages
markauto                  -- mark packages as having been
automatically installed
purge                     -- remove packages and their configuration files
reinstall                 -- download and (possibly) reinstall a
currently installed
remove                    -- remove packages
safe-upgrade              -- perform a safe upgrade
search                    -- search for a package by name and/or expression
show                      -- display detailed information about a package
unhold                    -- cancel a hold command for a package
unmarkauto                -- mark packages as having been manually installed
update                    -- download lists of new/upgradable packages
why                       -- show the manually installed packages that
require a pac
why-not                   -- show the manually installed packages that
lead to a con