Re: ChangeLog generation (was: Re: Next release)

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 14:03:59 +0100
Frank Terbeck <ft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I had some spare time, being on a train, and I came up with this:
>
>   <http://ft.bewatermyfriend.org/comp/genchangelog.html>
>
> That should be good enough (minus bugs, obviously).

That's useful, thanks.

We still need some way of associating the mailing list posting with the
change set, which is a bit of a puzzle since you are likely to commit it
to your local repository first.  It doesn't need to be in comments (I
couldn't see any way of updating them when pushing), it could be in some
other metadata, so there may well be some workaround.  We're sunk
without it, though, since tracing changes back to the discussion about
it on the mailing list is crucial for working out the intention behind
changes.

Ultimately this is no more than the usually necessity for tracking from
an archive to a bug database (as with Perforce's notion of jobs, for
example, which would do this nicely), so somebody's bound to have
thought about it.