One-command mail import with X-Seq: and ChangeLog (was: Re: Access to CVS)

Simon Ruderich wrote:
[...]
> Now that we've switched to Git, this applypatch-msg hook should
> be useful (if it works). Could you please have a look and test it
> when you apply patches. Suggestions are welcome.

My go at this is available at: https://github.com/ft/zsh-am

There is a pretty long README file included, that explains how to arrive
at directly-commitable email messages, that can be consumed by "git am".
That makes it a little long.

The short version is this:

  - Mark mails containing commits in MUA
  - Make MUA save those Mails into mbox file
  - Call: zsh-am the-mbox-file

That imports all commits from the mbox file, adds X-Seq: numbers in the
appropriate places (it also detects if a mail was send to -users instead
of -workers and prefix the X-Seq: number with "users/") and updates
ChangeLog after each and every commit automatically along the way.

I've committed some changes I sent to the list a while ago using this
(because nobody complained since I sent them):

  http://sourceforge.net/p/zsh/code/ci/6654b87b450ee317fb73ec9a875cb8c29f8a0e83/
  http://sourceforge.net/p/zsh/code/ci/daf4f19c3f52c63c4131b66ee086b5214a67d451/
  http://sourceforge.net/p/zsh/code/ci/dd638aea93c920228f164e38e350cd6388a6a645/

Note, that the ChangeLog is updated for _every_ commit and not once for
all commits after committing.

The ChangeLog generated looks like this:

2013-04-05  Frank Terbeck  <ft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

	* 31174: Src/Zle/zle_main.c: 31174: zle: Make sure state changes
	are refreshed after init hook

	* 31172: Src/Zle/zle_main.c: 31172: Let vared define custom init
	and finish hooks

	* 31175: Doc/Zsh/zle.yo: 31175: Add documentation for the new -i
	and -f options of vared

The fact that the X-Seq: number appears twice, was due to a bug in
`genchangelog' and me not checking the result properly before pushing...
That bug should be fixed by now.

Regards, Frank