Re: trouble with debugging binary

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 5:22 PM, Ray Andrews <rayandrews@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11/22/2014 11:58 PM, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
>>
>> On Nov 22, 2014, at 11:49 AM, Ray Andrews <rayandrews@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Lawrence,
>
>>    The "unified" format is quite common. I personally have a hard time
>> reading diffs in other formats.
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diff_utility#Unified_format vq
>
> Thanks, that is very informative.  I never looked at the switches for
> 'diff'.  So this means that we can patch the output from 'git diff' then so
> long as we have the whole file?  It will be interesting to see, at the next
> 'pull' if git recognizes the patch or complains.

If you think "git pull" downloads patches and applies them locally,
you are completely mistaken :). As a sidenote, you can produce patches
with git that 'patch' cannot apply, if you specify -M and/or -C. 'git
am' or 'git apply' are always able to apply these though, of course.

I'm actually a bit confused about what you consider the 'normal' diff
format, almost nobody uses anything other than the unified format.

--
Mikael Magnusson