Re: PATCH: default vi-mode key bindings

On 12/05/2014 05:26 AM, Oliver Kiddle wrote:

The type of person that would affect would need to like vi-style editing enough to use it in zsh without having ever been tempted into learning vim. Plenty of people use vi for quick edits from the terminal

Pardon my absolute ignorance about what you guys are talking about. Can someone give me some idea? vi is an editor that Martians like, because it helps if you have three arms, yes? And Venusians like emacs because the suckers on their tentacles can hit Ctrl+Alt+Esc+L+A very easily. And they have wars over it. vi has insert mode and command mode and such. Ok, but is any of that actually used at the command line? Does anyone need/use 'command mode' when typing a simple command?

    $ grep "The falcon cannot hear the falconer;" /Yeats/*

What would one do with command mode there? Editing a novel, of course, but a command line? Or does this mean that zsh somehow butts itself right in to vi so that when editing a novel, 'vi-style' as set by zsh is somehow active? Is that polite? And then there's vim mode too but that's different from vi mode? I'm missing something fundamental here.