Re: prexec never gets empty string?

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 11:41 PM, Derek Gleim <mail@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I certainly would never want preexec to be disabled just because a
> line isn't stored in history.
>
> I don't follow.  Me neither.  My understanding is if the line isn't going to
> be stored, preexec is still called, but it is supposed to be given an empty
> string as the first argument when the command will be ignored by history
> (while the second and third arguments give you the command regardless). No?

Judging by http://www.zsh.org/mla/workers/2001/msg00605.html , the
empty string was never intended as a feature, just a workaround for
not having access to the string. I guess a subsequent change made the
string always be available. Possibly the feature that always keeps the
last command in history until you run another command is newer than
this change and is why it always works now.

--
Mikael Magnusson