Re: [patch] "which"-builtin writes diagnostics to stdout

On Sep 1,  2:45pm, Peter Stephenson wrote:
}
} This is an obvious candidate for hiding behind one of the options like
} CSH_JUNKIE_STUFF_THAT_NO_ONE_COULD_CONCEIVABLY_WANT_ANY_MORE on the
} grounds of consistency

I know we avoid this in most cases, but I'd be OK with having this
"option" be (emulation == EMULATE_CSH).

I still think the suggestion that someone might expect $(which foo) to be
the empty string is equally unlikely, or for that matter that anyone who
used $(which foo) would *want* to see the error message.  The right thing
is to test the exit status of "which".