Re: Multiple as-installed test suite failures under different circumstances with 5.1-test-1

Hi Peter,

On Wed, Sep 09, 2015 at 03:39:02PM +0100, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> > ../../Test/E01options.ztst: test failed.
> > + fn:echo:2: write error: broken pipe
> > + fn:2: write error: inappropriate ioctl for device
> > I wonder if that's another case of a missing "2>/dev/null" like we
> > fixed a few before 5.1?
>
> OK, I suppose
>
>   echo hello | >foo
>
> in the case of SH_NULLCMD, which is equivalent to
>
>   echo hello | : >foo
>
> is indeed liable to the race in question, which is entirely benign for
> this test.  It shouldn't fail for the case where this is doing a cat,
> but the stdout test output already checks we picked that up, so
> suppressing the error looks reasonable.
>
> How about changing it to
>
>   { echo hello | >foo } 2>/dev/null
>
> ?  Is that good enough?

Looks fine and the two builds I did since then worked fine, too. Then
again, I can't really say since we saw this only once so far and
couldn't reproduce since then.

I'm keeping this now in the Debian package as a patch for while unless
you think it's good enough to be committed upstream anyways.

		Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | abe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html | abe@xxxxxxxxx (Mail+Jabber)
/ \  I love long mails: http://email.is-not-s.ms/ | http://abe.noone.org/ (Web)