Re: Slowdown around 5.0.5-dev-0

On 15 October 2015 at 06:32, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Given that we have direct evidence that it's beneficial to use NEWHEAPS
> in doshfunc() in at least one case, I'll go ahead and commit 36853 and
> we can see how it goes.

I've written a script that makes some memory testing easy:

https://github.com/psprint/zsh-tools/blob/master/mem-test.zsh

It runs copies of given zshells, which are directed to call specified
test function from the script. The test function then waits for the
main zsh to query memory size (via top). Example execution:

# Tests for zsh
string_test 480
array_test 3.21875

# Tests for zsh-head-both
string_test 5.1953125
array_test 3.05859375

# Tests for zsh-5.1.1-dev-0-clean
string_test 5.76171875
array_test 2.703125

Results are in megabytes of RES memory. The first set is for 5.0.2. It
seems there is something causing high memory usage, which isn't
activated for the array test, only for string_test.

I will write more more stressful functions to grasp any differences.
What test function could stress the recent changes?

Best regards,
Sebastian Gniazdowski