The "set" utility outputs binary data

The "set" utility outputs binary data (probably due to escape
sequences for coloring and so on in some parameters such as
prompts):

zira:~> set | grep ZSH
Binary file (standard input) matches

Though I could use the non-standard -a grep option, this is annoying.
I think that by default, "set" should quote non-printable characters
(including invalid byte sequences, I assume). I don't think that this
is even forbidden by POSIX, which already requires the shell to quote
some characters so that the output is "suitable for reinput to the
shell".

This is also important when the output is on a terminal.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>