Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: ZSH - tab-completion of $PATH won't work with /./ or /../ in it
- X-seq: zsh-workers 37357
- From: Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- To: Zsh hackers list <zsh-workers@xxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: ZSH - tab-completion of $PATH won't work with /./ or /../ in it
- Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 22:22:36 -0800
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=brasslantern-com.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; bh=NS3yIUd6BK9IyWpULTCnVDdb3XEwahR3N6a0IdaXVRE=; b=Mr09bTowutfoCHCQeAERr+5tlwoKwm16T1SPveJxvtsdPk3UjE3OYp4gt33u91XRN5 X3OSdHTnSHzfYhFt6tnEr9AOpFV6ICuctSfvjzYrlNomDJ4lu5qzwQw3QC/WpPgphRNA XTfVP2+CmRtJ4W0vUUJgepwZPZafdTw4cDoLdHANF964BpaXH/4Ux6liETQsbWSQlff3 1rHVM6EuFPFVkegM94jsfmHGKPN8sMZQwQlDSbxUdIBBUyR8bkCnZVZPiQ0w0dBQTu5h zK/eFhpIPauHTBbjkupb81XtKOnKT0ozI1JaQM0Vystc8wqIJR9RNpoJImDO6bVVIqJI NJyQ==
- In-reply-to: <CAKKoV8-uEhgRxL_9byx+7OHzgTiqYTT5LSyGmcAZowR4GeJFZA@mail.gmail.com>
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-id: Zsh Workers List <zsh-workers.zsh.org>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-workers-help@xxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
- References: <CAKKoV8-uEhgRxL_9byx+7OHzgTiqYTT5LSyGmcAZowR4GeJFZA@mail.gmail.com>
On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 9:24 PM, John Polansky <johnpolansky@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> While I realize it's unusual to have . or .. in a path.. it can happen
> through scripting and to me this seems like a bug which should be fixed.
As is often the case, this is not as obvious as it may appear.
Command completion uses the command hash table. Commands that appear
in the hash table are, pretty much by definition, the commands that
are completed. There is no actual path search during completion, just
a hash table lookup.
The command hash table has NEVER included commands that appear along
any relative path.
So the behavior you are describing is technically not a bug; it's
standard zsh behavior for the last 20 or so years.
Messages sorted by: