Re: expr length "$val" returns the wrong length for values containing NULL (\\0)

10.12.2015, 07:18, "D Gowers" <finticemo@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Ah, okay. That (commandline arguments not being able to contain NUL) seems.. a bit anachronistic. But I guess it's never been enough of a problem to warrant the considerable bother to fix it. Fair enough.

This has nothing to do with the commandline itself. In some very earlier days it was decided that strings will be NUL-terminated (in place of e.g. being structs with size_t size and char *data) and this statement sneaked into many parts of many standards. If you write C code you will have problems when dealing with NUL-terminated string because every library function that accepts something other then void* pointer with “generic data” assumes that string should terminate with NUL. Projects like zsh or almost every programming language have to write their own string implementations: in zsh it is C strings with escaped characters, in most other cases it is length+data pair.

Since one of the functions having NUL convention is exec* function family which is used to launch programs and another is main() function on the other side that accepts NUL-terminated strings you cannot really do anything to fix this: replacing one of the core conventions is *very* expensive, especially since you must do this in a backward-compatible way.