What's the next release number?

How can I now, at a given point in time, what will be the next release's
version number?

I keep running into situations where I need to refer to a change made in
master using the release number it's expected to first appear in, and
when I try to guess what that number will be, I get it wrong.  (E.g.,
when 5.0.8 was current I wrote "The change will appear in 5.0.9" and
there is no such version.  Ditto for 5.1.2/5.2.)

I could say "the change will appear in the release after 5.2", but
that's needlessly complicated: I'd much rather be able to say "The
change will appear in release ${foo}" for one specific value of ${foo}.

Cheers,

Daniel