Re: SSH hostname completion with common suffix and globcomplete inserts characters

On Aug 17,  9:38pm, Daniel Hahler wrote:
}
} Given ssh_config2:
}
}   Host foo-test-05827d88.foo.bar bar-test-6cae9ce0.foo.bar
}
} % ssh -F ssh_config2 test<TAB>
}
} completes to
}
} % ssh -F ssh_config2 -test-|.foo.bar

I can't reproduce this from "zsh -f" -- I had needed your matcher-list
style from your second message.

} and a second invocation of the completion will then use the "-t" at the
} beginning (for "escape character (or `none')").
}
} Should this get quoted on expansion to prevent this?

It might be possible to fix this in this specific case, but in general
I don't think it can/should be handled.  This goes along with the usual
completion dilemma of whether to assume the user intends quoting to be
interpreted by completion to change the result, or to be kept in place
in order to affect the parse when the line is accepted.

A more ideal approach would be similar to using _oldlist, wherein the
internals would remember the previous semantic of the current word
(in this case, that it's an argument rather than an option) and use
that semantic again if another completion is attempted in the same
word position, rather than recalculating the context every time.

} When quoting it manually, I see a similar issue as described before (see
} below), where
}
}   ssh -F ssh_config2 '-test-<TAB>.foo.bar'
}
} gets expanded to
}
}   ssh -F ssh_config2 '-test-BR.foo.bar'
}
} (without the globcomplete option though!)

I'm not able to reproduce that, either, when quoted.  Instead I get a
listing of the two possible results, and then cycling through them
on repeated tabs.