Re: Plans for 5.3?

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 03:56:12PM -0800, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Nov 30, 11:00pm, Christian Heinrich wrote:
> } Are there still some issues that continue to block a new release? I'm
> } asking, since Debian is going to freeze the packages at the beginning
> } of January and I'm still hoping that 5.3 could make it into the new
> } stable release, especially since a lot of patches and completions were
> } added.

Thanks for bringing this up. Was on my TODO list, too.

> Peter has subsequently said that he wants 5.3 to be out before
> Christmas.

That's actually necessary to get 5.3 into the next Debian Stable
release.

> We've called a moritorium on further optimizations (we got a lot of those
> in the last few weeks that we weren't really expecting).
>
> So I would expect 5.3 to be out in time for January.

Sounds as if this will become a close one. Some more details on the
timeline:

Debian's freeze for new upstream releases for the next Stable release
is on 5th of January 2017. This means that I need to upload 5.3 to
Debian Unstable latest on 24th of December to have chance to get it
transitioned from "Unstable" to "Testing" before 5th of January.

Details on the timeline at
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2016/11/msg00002.html

This though only works if there's no so called release-critical bug
found in the package (which would prevent the transitioning), hence
the earlier, the better, so that potential bugs can be fixed in time
before Christmas.

If I can upload 5.3 only just in time on Christmas eve, the transition will
become a little bit like a lottery.

		Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | abe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html | abe@xxxxxxxxx (Mail+Jabber)