Re: UTF-8 locales on BSDs do not support collation correctly

On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 12:26:30 -0800 (PST)
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2017, Peter Stephenson wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 26 Jan 2017 17:57:17 +0000
> > Peter Stephenson <p.stephenson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > (I will supply a patch that checks for setutxent etc., now I've noticed
> > > there aren't any yet, but that doesn't appear to be the problem here,
> > > modulo obscurities.)
> >
> > Can't see any reason not to commit it anyway.
>
> I'm now getting
>
> Src/watch.c: In function `readwtab':
> Src/watch.c:497: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
>

> That's:
>
>     while ((tmp = getutent()) != NULL) {

I'm not.  This appears to be another system specific issue that needs to
be investigated by whoever is able.  It could be compiler specific, I
suppose, but that's a basic enough error it doesn't seem likely.
As all I've done is not use functions that aren't present,
this suggests a pre-existing problem.  I guess this is similar to
Michael's problem?

Just to be clear (hope this doesn't seem rude, I just don't want anyone
making untoward assumptions):  I am not going to do anything at all to
investigate errors I'm not seeing myself.  The orignal patch is clearly
warranted (as the feature was not working at all on a number of
systems), so unless someone does investigate the problems they are seeing,
this will simply not get fixed.

If the original code *was* working, introducing an appropriate #ifdef is
an appropriate fix.  (But I am *still* not going to do the guesswork
myself as I don't know whether that's the right thing to do or not.)

As this is obviously a system-dependent minefield, it would really
help if we could identify owners for problem on the various systems
involved.

pws