Re: Add redis-db module to upstream?

On 3 Jun, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> > I have no objection to including this module's functionality in the base
> > distribution.  However, I don't think we should just chuck it in there
> > exactly as-is.
>
> This module was created 10 days ago.  It has had no bug reports, no pull
> requests, and no code contributors other than its author.  Does it have
> any users besides Sebastian?  Will anyone on this list use this module
> in his setup?

I'm not sure that those points are entirely fair because building zsh modules
separate from the zsh tree is not trivial. It's a significant barrier
both to any potential contributor trying the module and to long term
usage as a separate module. If it was easy then it might be better to
keep such modules separate but it isn't.

Certrainly we want to take care that the hiredis dependency isn't making
a zsh build more complicated. Perhaps the module could be disabled by
default. I'd also agree with the points made by Bart such as unifying
ztie, perhaps with a generic typeset option: typeset -o file=...

As for use, I've never actually got around to trying the gdbm module.
What is it mostly good for? Very large variables or sharing variables?

Oliver