Re: Why sourcing a file is not faster than doing a loop with eval, zle -N

On December 23, 2017 3:01 PM, Sebastian Gniazdowski wrote:
We could do a pair of calls, first fgets(), then fgetc(), and this way
solve this problem?

Wouldn't work because `fgets()` just returns the string as well as storing it
in the buffer instead of doing the _sane_ thing and returning the number of
characters read. Because of that it's impossible to know if there are actually
any useful characters in our buffer past the first '\0' (if you tried to read
past that you would just be asking for a buffer overrun).

Sadly, `fgets()` is of limited use for our purposes if the lines may have
embedded '\0' characters. A possible alternative is something like
POSIX `getline()` but I don't know if something like that would be kosher
for Zsh.

If it is, though, give a holler and I will cook up a patch.

--
Joey Pabalinas