Re: [BUG] process substitution breaks when nested or traverses a function

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 10:30:16 +0000
Daniel Shahaf <d.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't know about "better", but I'd looked into this and wondered why
> getproc() had two compile-time alternative implementations, one with
> mkfifo() and one with /proc/self.  Is this just about portability,
> or...?

Using a file descriptor is neater, because there's less cruft in the
regular file system to clear up (and fewer associated security worries
etc. etc.); however, /proc/self isn't guaranteed to be available on
older systems, whereas FIFOs have been around for a good quarter
century.

Whether zsh is being complied on sufficiently old systems we don't tend
to hear about, but I don't think having the FIFO alternative is causing
problems.

I'll update the comment.

pws